How an Actress Beats Childhood Trauma to Pursue Her Dream By Samantha Algieri

“I did it.”  I frantically assured, while being cornered by bystanders.  “It was me, I put my foot on the gas.”  When I woke up on the morning of August 30, 2000, I was an average eleven-year-old.  The summer was coming to an end and my days would begin with the dreadful decision of, “what cereal am I going to eat today?”  It was a hazy August morning and I started my day with a bowl of Cap’n Crunch.   I was aware that the sugary cereal would scratch the roof of my mouth, but I enjoyed each self-sabotaging bite.  I had my morning shows.  It would start off with Katie Couric on the Today’s Show.  I was always fascinated with news, and even though I was young, I wanted to feel as if I knew what was going on in the world and form my own opinion on it.  I’d wait until Al Roker gave his weather update to prepare for my next show, The Maury Show. I loved to study the guest’s body language and found the lie detector test episodes to be intriguing.  This was my eleven-year-old life.  A bowl of Cap’n Crunch, Al Roker’s seven-day weather forecast, and figuring out whether Chad from Bakersfield was the father of ten-month-old Liam or not.  Life was decent.  

Comments